Wednesday, August 12, 2009

BERRY good!

Growing up, my aunt always made her Fresh Strawberry cake. She is gone now, but the cake is still around. I made it recently and would like to share with you. Fresh berries at the farmers market.
Gather your ingredients.

I do think it makes a difference
with anything you make if you use quality ingredients.
Mixing 1 small package of strawberry jello, 1/2 c. water and 1 pkg. white cake mix.
Prepare your pans.

I know many say just to prepare the bottom of your pan.

I have always prepared the sides as well.After adding 4 egg whites, 1 t. vanilla & 1 c. fresh strawberries.Ready to pop into the oven. Baked, and cooling on the racks. Icing: 1 box powdered sugar and 1 stick of butter. 1/2 c. strawberries. Now, who would like coffee? Or milk?

My aunt would make her cake in a 11x13 aluminum baking pan and just serve the cake in the pan and pour the icing on top. The icing is very wet and gets more so the more strawberries that you add. I used about one and a half of the noted quantity for both cake and icing. I just like a double layer cake. Something almost elegant about it. Here is the recipe:

Fresh Strawberry Cake

Beat together for two minutes:

1 pkg white cake mix

1 small package strawberry jello (3oz.)

1/2 c. water

Add 4 egg whites & 1 t. vanilla and beat for additional two minutes.

Add 1 C. sliced fresh strawberries.

Beat for 30 seconds.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Cool before icing.

Frosting: 1 box powdered sugar (1lb.)

1 stick butter

1/2 c. sliced strawberries.

When I made this cake I used 1.5 c. strawberries in cake and a 3/4 c. strawberries in the frosting. It is a matter of personal preference as to how wet you want the cake to be. It was a very hot day the day I baked it, so I covered it and refrigerated. Otherwise, my icing would have melted away.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is making me hungry!

Blog Archive