Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Mother's Day

My Mother's Day began with opening a hoops & yoyo card that my daughter sent from her home on the east coast. It was hoops and yoyo yelling various forms of Mother, Ma, Mommy...it truly sounded like my two yelling for me. I loved it. My daughter sent a book from my Amazon wish list and another I had wished for...
Terry Taylor's Artful Storybook
and Henry Cole's A Nest for Celeste
The Artful Storybook is chock-full of inspiration and A Nest for Celeste is chock-full of illustrations, had deckle edged pages and is a very comfortable size to hold in your hands. A perfect rainy day book. I hope someday to get to read it to my grandchildren.
In the meantime, I will have to read it to me.
I wanted to linger over my books, but had to hit the road to head for my hometown. My brother knew I was coming and my niece saw it on facebook and told my sister. I was running just a little late and sent my brother a text asking him to save me a place in church, without being too obvious. I spied my family in their usual place and snuck in. My brother was on the outside of the pew. My dad was second. They both let me slip in beside my mother. She had her eyes closed in prayer and worship. My sister was on the far side of mother. I sat down beside my mother and kissed her on the cheek. She screamed in church! I think I surprised her. We all went to lunch after church and then back to the house.
my brother, myself, mother and my sister
Afterward, I went to visit a friend in town. I had not been to her house for a year. I got to see her six month old granddaughter and play with her. It was so nice to sit in the floor of her living room and visit. Then, I went out to visit more friends at their lake house. Finally, it was time to head back south. My mother did not think I was going to visit because of the big, big day we had the day before when my son graduated from the university. I was tired, but it was a good day.
A very good Mother's Day.

12 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Sounds like a good day, and a very FULL weekend!
Makin' memories....

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Hi Cheryl, Sounds like you had a great day with your family and friends. I bet your Mom was happy . . our Mom is real special to us too . . nice pic with your family. Those were some good gifts too . . I love hoops and yoyo, my sister-in-law Chris, gave me musical b-d card from them last year . . they're funny. I get alot of compliments about the revelation song . . it's so pretty. We're bunch of Lutherans over here, we go to Immanuel Lutheran Church, in Chino (cow country). Most of the dairies have move out but we still have some left. Happy Wednesday evening! Sandy :O)

Angela said...

Wow! You sure did have a busy weekend! I'm exhausted just thinking of even trying to do all of that! lol

What a great surprise for your mother that you showed up and surprised her at church. I'll bet she was real happy to see you!

Hugs,
Angela

PS get some sleep! or better yet, what kind of vitamins are you taking so I can have me some of your energy!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I like the part about rainy day story book!

paperbird said...

my friend got that very same card for mother's day- it was too cute :) I 'm glad it was a good day.

Cheryl said...

I loved that your mom screamed in church. Did you smother your giggles?

Chatty Crone said...

I am so happy, even with the busy weekend, that you went home and spent time and even scared your mom! ♥sandie

Laurie said...

Glad you had a nice Mother's Day! (P.S. I LOVE Hoops & YoYo. They're hilarious :)

Anonymous said...

That picture made me want to break out in song..."her father, her mother, her sister and her brother...oh I never see Maggie alone."
Don't ask me why. You know that I just love singing. :)
Love ya!

Joy Tilton said...

I can just see you all in church and your Mom screaming, too funny! You surprised her for sure! I share your love of good books and since I have GRANDson's, I'm going to have to search for the one about the Mouse. Thanks so much for coming by GrannyMountain and becoming a follower! Visit me often, I talk a lot about family!
joycee

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Sounds like a good mothers day to me! I love the books!

rachel awes said...

these books look downright delicious! what great gifts!
great stories in the book
& in your life!x

Blog Archive