Thursday, December 29, 2011

Hugo - two thumbs up!

On Christmas day we went to see the movie Hugo.  We have a long-standing custom of seeing a movie on Christmas day.  On Christmas day, I want to see something magical and miraculous and happy and up lifting.  This year we saw the perfect movie.
The movie Hugo is based upon the children's novel, The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  This is a very uncharacteristic Martin Scorsese movie which explores my favorite genre of writing which is creative non-fiction.  The story is fictional except for the fact that it tells some sort of historic truth.  The factual portion of this story is about Georges Melies. 
The story begins with Hugo's father bringing an automaton home from the museum where he works.  The quest to bring the automaton to life becomes the father son project of Hugo and his father, played (briefly) by Jude Law.  (An automaton is a non-electric self-operating machine- often, a robot resemmbling a human or an animal.)

Hugo with father and automaton
Much of the story takes place in a Paris train station where Hugo employs himself as the keeper of the clocks.  He peers at the world from the clock above.  Hugo Cabret is played by Asa Butterfield, (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.)
Hugo watches from above
The evil villain, the Inspector, is played by Sacha Baron Cohen who is best remembered for his role as Borat Sagdiyev, in Borat: Cultural Learnings of America fro Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.  (Which I saw under absolute and complete protest.)
evil villain
Georges Melies is played by a similar looking Ben Kingsley.  Oh what beautiful brown eyes.  Kingsley is strict, cruel, kind, caring and vulnerable.
Georges Melies played by Ben Kingsley
The female counter-part to Hugo, Isabelle, is played by Chloe Grace Moretz.  Does this girl have a future or what?  What gorgeous lips! Her eyes dance.  My favorite line in the movie is when Hugo leads her on an adventure in which they might get into trouble.  Her response:  "that's how you know it is an adventure!"

discovery of the key
You have to have a chase scene.  I was holding my breath.
frightening
The factual part of the story line as I have mentioned is the real life of Georges Melies

the real life Georges Melies
 The recreated film scenes are lavish and artfully colored with a soft pastel color scheme. 
Without giving away the story, I hope that I might compel you to go see this movie.  You won't be sorry.  And let me know if you recognize a certain street musician playing at the train station.

7 comments:

farmlady said...

You have convinced me to go see this movie. It sounds wonderful and interesting. I love Ben Kingsley.
Thank you for the review.
You can do this any time you like a movie. I trust your opinion.
Happy New Year...

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about taking my daughters to see this movie. I does sound very good.

Rae said...

I've heard about this movie. Your review makes it even more inviting. My grandkids will enjoy seeing this one.

Chatty Crone said...

I've seen the clips from it - we were going to see I Bought A Zoo or something like that this weekend.
Thanks for the review.

sandie

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT movie review. Sounds like something my hubby and I might enjoy. (As long as the theater isn't filled with kids.) Georges Melies seems like a very interesting guy. I'm glad you enjoyed your Christmas movie this year. I remember Sweeny Todd. Too much blood and gore for the holiday season. Kept me from going to movies.

Kris said...

Sounds good!!

Brian Miller said...

nice...i so want to see this! cant wait for it to get to our dollar theatre!

Blog Archive