Sunday, December 25, 2011

The best gift

The best gift
That I ever got
Didn't really weigh a lot
It didn't have a ribbon 'round
And it sometimes made the terrible sound
The best of all it seems to me
It wasn't neath the Christmas tree
And yet, I guess I'd have to say
That it made all the other presents twice as gay
The best gift that I've ever known
I'd always wanted most to own
Yet in my dreams of sugar and spice
I never thought it could be so nice
The best gift that I ever get
Was sometimes dry and sometimes wet
Was usually pink but oftentimes red
As it lay so innocently in its bed
The best gift of the year to me
The one I hold most dear to me
A gift that simply drove me wild
Was a tiny new born child...
I have always loved this Barbra Streisand song- from the first time I ever  heard it.  And although my granddaughter was born in March and is now nine months old and toddling about and getting into things, I think out of all of the gifts I've recieved, she is the best. 
I'm thankful for each of you.  Your words of encouragement, the friendship you so freely offer.  You have no idea how your comments brighten my world.  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

11 comments:

Kris said...

I am a huge Barbra fan, and I have not ever heard this song? Indeed, a child, a child from OUR child, is the greatest gift!!! Hope your visit was wonderful.
Merry Christmas my Hoosier friend!!!
XO Kris

Anonymous said...

Truly a gift!

=)

ain't for city gals said...

I am happy for you, Cheryl!...Merry Christmas!

TARYTERRE said...

Beautiful song. A grandchild is a wonderous thing. So precious, indeed. Blogging is the greatest because I get to meet wonderful people like you. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Donna said...

I didn't know this song, either. I thought Cheryl had written it and how lovely it was. I cannot imagine the joy of having a grandchild. I hope to one day wear the title of grandmother.
Thanks for introducing me to the world of blogging! And for your friendship, of course.

Holly said...

I've never heard this song either but I can't listen to it because my daughter has decided she doesn't want children and I would just cry like a crazy woman if I listened to it. That picture of you with the baby is soooo sweet.

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I'm still waiting for my daughter! My two stepdaughters have blessed us with three, but I'm ready to hold the newborn my Amy makes, and I'm ready to cry doing it!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Always loved that song too. Hope your Christmas was all you hoped for. Now onto a healthier, prosperier (?Heehee?), more satisfying 2012. Frankly, I'm glad to see the back end of 2011~

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Merry Christmas kiddo! That pic definitely is one to be framed. So sweet too . . . Enjoy your grandbaby:O)

Rae said...

What a beautiful post. Nothing quite compares with the gift of a child/grandchild. Truly a miracle, especially at Christmas. Hope your day was wonderful.

Kim said...

Aw, how sweet! What a little preshie she is. My gift came last January - and what a surprise he was, but such a blessing. Thanks for sharing the lyrics to that wonderful song.
xoxo,
Kim

Blog Archive