Thursday, April 29, 2010

Avenue Q

On Tuesday evening Doug and I went to see Avenue Q. We saw an off-Broadway show here on campus at the University. Avenue Q The Musical
Broadway cast

I include this photo of the Broadway cast because it is probably the one and only time I've ever "known" someone who has been on Broadway. Front and center, in the brown top, is Carey Anderson, originally from my hometown of New Castle, Indiana. With the Broadway cast of Avenue Q, Carey played the roles of Kate Monster and Lucy T. Slut. About twenty years ago, Carey, my daughter and myself did a show together at the Guyer Opera House- Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. Carey played the narrator. She has a fabulous voice. You can go to her website and give her a listen. My daughter played Benjamin, the youngest brother. All of the brothers wore overalls. My daughter was only about ten years old and wore a baseball cap, backwards. I remember people saying after the show..."I didn't realize that was her!" I played Potifer's wife, the seductress. My Dad told me I was the best whore he had ever seen. Honestly, I didn't do too well with that part. I wasn't confident enough or comfortable enough to do that role justice. I had a slinky sixties version outfit with a keyhole cutout at a strategic point, dead-center of my bosoms, so I suppose for some, that was good enough. I digress.

Prior to the show, Doug took me to dinner at Malibu, one of my favorite restaurants. (Disclaimer: No endorsement, coupon, discount from said restaurant for prior statement.) Prior to pontificating. This may be the thinking stage. the wind up"um, well..." "according to ME...""and there you have it."

I had my glasses at the restaurant. It was still sunny when we left to head to the theatre, so I put on my sunglasses. Then, we dashed, and I mean dashed to the theatre and when we get there, I rummaged through my purse to find my glasses. Nada. No glasses. Fortunately, I had a pair of "light" sunglasses, because I can't see further than three or four feet beyond. So, there I sat, watching the show, looking as I just flew in to Indiana from Hollywood, wearing my sunglasses while I watched the show. stairway to the super-secret ladies room


At intermission, as usual, there was a mega-uber huge line for the ladies room. An extremely helpful young usher directed a handful of us, upstairs...to the super-secret ladies room.

I loved Avenue Q.

The puppets were hilarious. As Doug put it after the show "I've never seen puppets having sex before." Yes, if you go see Avenue Q, prepare thyself, because you do see puppets, naked puppets, having sex. This show is for mature audiences only. I enjoyed the music and the words to the songs...here are the words of one of my favorite songs from the show.

A Fine Line

There's a fine, fine line between a lover and a friend;
There's a fine, fine line between reality and pretend;
And you never know 'til you reach the top if it was worth the uphill climb.
There's a fine, fine line between love
And a waste of time.
There's a fine, fine line between a fairy tale and a lie;
And there's a fine, fine line between "You're wonderful" and "Goodbye."
I guess if someone doesn't love you back it isn't such a crime,
But there's a fine, fine line between love
And a waste of your time.
And I don't have the time to waste on you anymore.
I don't think that you even know what you're looking for.
For my own sanity, I've got to close the door
And walk away...Oh...
There's a fine, fine line
between together and not
And there's a fine, fine line between what you wanted and what you got.
You gotta go after the things you want while you're still in your prime...
There's a fine, fine line between love
And a waste of time.
intermission
set - on stage
puppet wandering out into the audiences. (note the orb)

Doug snagged us some great tickets in the eleventh row. There were times I was about to fall out of my seat laughing. It was quite unfortunate that I lost my glasses. I have never before lost a pair of prescription glasses. I'm hoping they will turn up. In the mean time, I'm wearing old glasses. Not my most up-to-date prescription, but prescription nonetheless.
A friend of mine thought she was oh, so clever when she said "I heard Avenue Q was a comedy, but you may have found it to be rather dark. Oh, ha, ha.
So, if you get the chance, see Avenue Q.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I cracked up when I read that your Dad told you that you were the best whore he'd ever seen.

Chatty Crone said...

So did you go back to the restaurant to find your glasses?

The dinner and the play sounded like you had a great date night with your hubby.

Looks like a great play too - cannot imagine puppets having sex though. Lol

♥sandie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Hope you got your glasses back safe and sound! That play looked like a real hoot~
It would be very hard to have photos taken like that up close...Doug was a good sport, or victim. Nice night out, huh? Good for you sista!

Lisa said...

Hah! How wonderful! Have you found your glasses yet? (Hope so...I'm blind without mine as well and know that feeling is disorienting.)

We'd thought about seeing this...is it over this weekend?

So glad it was a good time!

Laura said...

looks like fun!

Blog Archive