Saturday, April 10, 2010

Someone made me take a break from painting!

For me, it has been non-stop painting. Friday night, my friend Donna Cronk came down to Bloomington for a visit. Donna was my editor- turned friend from my hometown newspaper. Donna is the Neighbors Editor and many years ago I wrote a column called "Flip Side," because I seem to always see things differently from the way others see things. I continue to be honored to write an occasional piece for her.
A while back, Donna invited Nancy Hiller to my hometown to speak and sign her book. Donna then in turn wrote a story for the paper about Nancy and her book. Nancy's book is about the Hoosier cabinet- which originated in my hometown. Since Donna was coming down to visit me, she invited Nancy to join us. We had a delicious dinner at Michael's Uptown Cafe. Me, Donna and Nancy
Donna has an affinity for all things having to do with being a "fifties housewife. " I was inspired to create this altered book for her. In my spare time, in between nights of painting my kitchen, I relaxed by being creative. much of the paper was Graphic 45 Domestic Goddess line retro advertisingold typewriters similar to those both Donna and I first learned to type with Filthy Farmgirl soap label. I found this soap in Hawaii.some embellishments were from
Shumway's beautifully illustrated mail catalog.

the best ingredient in life is family

a girl has to have options. some things never changes

Donna thought this would make great wallpaper for a kitchen.
It would take a lot of 12x12 squares to do it!
a prize-winning cook- just like Donna!
"adore family" Donna's motto.
This morning, Donna and I went to breakfast at the Runcible Spoon, visited one of my favorite shops in town, Lola Rue, and then went to Nashville, IN. Donna wanted to see Papertrix, the wonderful store where I work part-time and do design work. She met my friends, the owners- Wayne and Cindy. Cindy taught me how to make altered books and I love to make them. I've made a couple for the shop. You can do a lot of things with an altered book- keep recipes, photos, notes or just enjoy it. If nothing else, it is a gift of art. This is the second one I've made for Donna. It is a joy to give someone a gift when they truly appreciate what has gone into producing it. For me, an altered book is much like my writing. Similar to gathering research, I gather my materials. Then, just as one begins to write, I begin to create. And just as a story sometimes seems to have twists and turns of its own, so does a work of art. You never know what direction you will go. At least, I feel that way about both. And, for me, I can continue to tweak a story and I can continue to tweak my art. With both, I'm never quite finished until it is out of my hands. I took the book down to show Wayne and Cindy last weekend to see what suggestions Cindy might have for me. She always has lots of great suggestions. You don't have to take my word for it, wander into the shop for yourself and see if you don't come out inspired. I love to work there because of the people that I meet and the gift of learning more. I am continually learning. After visiting with Wayne and Cindy, we walked about town and visited several of my favorites. As Donna said "Nashville just goes on and on." Donna had not been to Nashville for many years. When we finally decided if it was time to leave, Donna ask if there was any other "can't miss this one" shops to go into to. I said "there is always next time."
It was a beautiful day, we couldn't have had better weather if we had ordered it. I was able to spend time with an old friend, meet a new friend and introduce Donna to some of my good friends. Good friends, good food, good weather. A good visit.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, I have a feeling we should meet up! Your life mirrors mine in so many ways.

I adore Papertrix (I was over talking to Wayne a few weeks ago lusting over the Copic markers...ah, someday) :), though I can't ever stay in there long enough because the kids get ancy. I didn't know you did work for them?!

Ah, and Lola Rue. I would live in Lisa's store if I could.

Your altered book is AMAZING...it is something I've been trying to do in between other projects. Looks like I could have a lot to learn from you!

Enjoy this lovely Bloomington day!!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Holy Smokes! Your altered book is fantastic. Graphic 45 is my favorite paper line! Oh man....you have magic creative fingers!
Love it! Am planning on checking out your Nashville shoppe links. It's been a fav place of mine for decades. When my kids were at home, Nashville was our escape place. Looks like you gals had a ball! Now....back to painting!

Pam said...

Cool, nifty things! Sounds like you all had a fun time! Just wish I was more creative in this way!

Lena said...

You have been busy making some pretty wonderful things Cheryl. I like both your ATC's and this book. What a fun theme! The images from that time were so quirky, and included a lot of humor. Great job!

Blog Archive