Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

This afternoon, I met my friend Rene' and her father at the theatre to see
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.White Rabbit in a waist coat, voice of Michael SheenAlice, looking down the rabbit holeRed Queen, Helena Bonham CarterMad Hatter, Johnny DepWhite Queen, Anne Hathawayhookah smoking caterpillar
Blue Caterpillar, voice of Alan Richman Cheshire cat, voice of Stephan Fry Tim Burton gives Mia Wasikowska (Alice) direction


If you go to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland expecting it to be very different than the original, you will probably be disappointed. It is the same basic story that we all have known since childhood. It is the same basic story that we've all known since childhood with a Tim Burton twist.
Mia Wasikowska plays Alice with enough nativity and innocence to be convincing. Johnny Depp seems to be truly mad while portraying the Mad Hatter. The White Queen played by Anne Hathaway seemed a bit spacey to me- almost drugged out. She is supposed to be all about kindness but as a woman, I would have liked to have seen her character be a bit stronger. Cheshire Cat played by Stephan Fry was just as the Cheshire Cat should be. The Blue Caterpillar portrayed by the wonderful voice of Alan Richman was perfect. Do you love Alan Richman's voice as much as I do? If I could have anyone read to me, I believe it would be him. He is warm and wise, a bit of a counselor to Alice.
My favorite character was the Red Queen played by Helena Bonham Carter. (For those of you who have been wondering, that is what my hair looks like when I wake up in the morning.) I loved the way she yelled and commanded without ever changing the expression on her face. It would be a fun role to play.
The score is by Danny Elfman. I would like to listen to it again without the distraction of the movie. I don't feel like I quite caught it all. All in all, it was an enjoyable experience. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Great review of it! And anything with Johnny Depp only makes it better! Looking forward to seeing it! Happy Easter! Hugs...

Chatty Crone said...

Funny I really loved the movie. To me Alice found herself at the end. lol

Have a blessed Easter,
Sandie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

He hee! Your hair, I think, is like mine...thick and curly and totally with a mind of its own, and sticks straight up and twisted upon awakening.
For some reason this is a movie that hasn't appealed to me much, but, after enjoying your review of it, will give it a rethink.
Great way to spend Easter...seeing that type of movie. Mowed the yard for the first time this weekend. Even dandelions are abloom...spring is officially here!
Yay.
Happy Easter Cheryl, and hugs!

Blog Archive