Friday, April 2, 2010

"Take up thy cross and follow me."

I try to take different routes to work. Sometimes I drive through town and sometimes I head north via State Road 37N. This past week I took 37N. Then I take the bypass to head back towards town. The first day I saw this man I almost drove off of the road gawking at him. My initial reaction was "WHAT was that?"
As I've told you, I usually try to have my Nikon with me at all times. Yesterday, I just hit my flashers and pulled to the side of the road to shoot these photos. facing east towards the sun
he walked back and forth
shot these looking west, with the sun at my back
modern day Christ in blue jeans and a flannel shirt

The scripture says: "If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Mark 8:34
(Just one of several scriptures with this admonishment.)
I have read stories in the newspaper about men carrying crosses, but had never seen anyone in person. It was interesting. It did make me think. I wondered if he was doing it for his own personal satisfaction or what? He apparently wanted others to see him as he walked back and forth over the bypass. I wanted to go up and walk with him and ask him a lot of questions...what do you hope to accomplish, why are you doing this, have you done this in years past? Was he a minister or just a follower or just someone living their faith walk?
I shot these photos yesterday morning and I was glad I did, because he wasn't there this morning.

7 comments:

Pam said...

Great photos! I think he wanted to spread the word. We are all loved!

Lisa said...

Very interesting! I've taken this bridge before (it is right next to my son's school)...I wish that I would have made my run this morning if only to be able to answer a few of those questions!

Lovely photos...

Chatty Crone said...

I've never seen that before either - I think he had something he wanted to say. sandie

Keetha Broyles said...

I like the individualness of it. Sometimes less truly is more.

I've never seen a cross walker before, but these photos have touched my heart - - - what a vivid reminder for us all.

Doug Steury said...

everyone has their cross to bear, some more literally than others.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I think that you were blessed to spot this, take photos, in order to share with us. He's making a statement alright! It was holy week, and he was walking the walk.
Good for him, and good for you to look up and notice!

Nicole said...

I saw him two days last week. I wonder how many people didn't even notice.

Blog Archive