Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I met a Starr!

Last Friday I drove down to Nashville (IN) to take art classes with the famous Jen Starr. When I learned about the classes through Papertrix, I checked out Jen's style and liked what I saw.Me and Jen. I'm holding my shabby chic book that I made in class.Everyone gathered around Jen to learn her technique.Jen mixed paint with gesso and then blended different colors together.
my friend Mary Jo joined me for class
Mary Jo is good at everything she does
Cindy from Papertrix joined us in class And I met my new friend Lisa


First we created on canvas (photo above -Lisa and me with our artwork) using medium and dictionary pages. Then we used stencils and gesso. Then we mixed paint and gesso and then stamps with letters to spell out words. Some class members used stickles to add sparkle.
Secondly, we used stencils and card stock and sprays and created card fronts. We combined those with embellishments and stamps. Finally, we made shabby chic books. We used corrugated cardboard. Jen taught us how to make cabbage roses from a flat piece of sticky-backed material. We used the sprays to color our roses and material and for a couple of pages in the book. We also used flourish stamps and white flat crackle paint. I like to take classes because I learn new techniques. I learn about myself. I see what other participants create and I learn from them. We all teach one another.
When I take classes, I also learn what I like and don't like. It is a good way to experience technique without buying supplies that you may not use. It is also a way to learn how to use materials that you've already purchased, but wasn't certain what to do with them once you got them home.
Jen Starr is very down-to-earth making everyone comfortable. She is from Jersey and has the greatest laugh. Her classes were reasonably priced- especially for someone as talented as she is. If she is in your area, be sure to jump in and take a class with her! I'm glad I did!

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

This sounded like such a great time. My heart skipped several beats when I saw you all were tearing up books. I hope they were books with missing pages and stuff. (Book lover, me? Nah, not much.)

Mary Jo Spiegel said...

I had fun with you, Cheryl!
But I look scary!

Angela said...

Looks like you all had a great time! Makes me want to craft but I just don't have time right now. Sigh.....

Hugs,
Angela

Cherie Wilson said...

Just saw your sweet blog from Charlotte Lyons bog and realized we are both Bloomington Indiana gals! How funny:) I met Charlotte at Silverbella 2 years ago and adore her. Looks like you had some fun local art time.....let me know of your next adventure! Maybe I can come play:)

Chatty Crone said...

I love learning new things too and this looked like so much fun - especially when you do it with friends.

You are a cutie pie too!

sandie♥

^..^Corgidogmama said...

You have the ornriest grin, it's just so infectious, making others want to grin.
Can imagine that class was an awesome experience. Nashville is such a unique and fun place to visit. Sigh...we were such regulars going there at one time, it's been ten years since my kids and I have been there together.

Lisa said...

Oh, I so wish I could have stayed - that book looks amazing! I'll have to hassle you for techniques when we get together. :)

Lena said...

You are the second person that has mentioned taking a class from Jen Starr, and both of you seemed to have enjoyed it and learned a lot. It sure sounds like a fun time was had by all. I'm enjoying watching you explore mixed media Cheryl. I'm still trying my hand at it now and then, but it's still a little bit hard for me. It's overwhelming in a way, as there are so many directions to take it in.

Have a great weekend!
Lena

Miss Janice said...

Oh, I am so not crafty. I try. I just don't make cute things:) Cutting some paper and stamping it is about all I'm good at!:)

A Hint of Home said...

Looks like a fun class and wonderful project.
I need to craft more!

Blog Archive