Saturday, January 14, 2012

three

Today's post is brought to you by the number three.
three
Sometimes I think about a post for quite some time before I actually sit down to write it.  Such is the case with this post.  I have been thinking about this post all week.  It has been tip-toeing in and out of my mind, snippets of thoughts just before I drift off to sleep.  Because we have a three day weekend this weekend, I've been thinking about the number three.  I remember studying the significance of the number three in one of my lit classes in college.  It was fascinating. 

The three bears
with three chairs
and three beds
and three bowls of porridge.
three bears
The three little pigs- remember the saying
"I'll huff,
 and I'll puff,
and I'll blow your house in?" 
three little pigs
 In Greek Mythology the three graces- charm, beauty, creativity. 
three graces
 In comedy- The Three Stooges, Larry, Curly and Moe.
three stooges
 In jewelry- the three stone ring, a center stone anchored by two outer stones.
three stones
Three blind mice- remember the song? 
They all ran after the farmer's wife
she cut off their tales with the carving knife
did you ever see such a sight in your life?
three blind mice
In Christianity- the trinity, Father, Son, Holy Spirit.
Three kings visit the babe in Bethlehem.
Three crosses at Calvary.
Three days before Christ arose.
Peter's three denials of Christ.
Three times the cock crows.

To denote time- yesterday, today, tomorrow.
Past, present, future.
Morning, noon and night.
Twenty-four hour day- divided by three equals three eight hour shifts.

The trilogy, triad, trinity.

"I'll give you three wishes."
"Third times a charm."
"Three strikes you're out."
"Three ring circus."
"Three sheets to the wind."
"Thought, word, and deed."
"Me'nage a trois." (Ooooh la la.)
"Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil."

While reading what I could about the number three today, I learned humans perceive white light as a mixture of three additive primary hues- red, green, and blue.  Who knew?

For one of the most conclusive essays regarding the number three, consult this website, www.threes.com
specifically, here.

Or, for a generic version, there is always good old wiki.

What comes to mind when you think of the number three?
I hope you enjoyed this post today, brought to you by the number three. Now I'm off to enjoy my three day weekend.

10 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Hmmm.. you have me thinking.

Donna said...

Cheryl,
Three cheers for your post!
What I always think about the number three is concerning anything with decorating. Groupings of three. It just looks off with a lesser number or a larger one.
Look around your house on tabletops, walls. You'll see what I mean. Donna

Chatty Crone said...

What a lot to think about! Hope you are getting some sun!!

sandie

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Three? I think of my kids . . . Davey, Brian and Cassandra, three of God's beautiful creations:O)

Brian Miller said...

intersting symbolism in threes for sure...you covered many i know...hmm..its also prime...hope you are having a great weekend...

Holly said...

I can honestly say I've never even thought about it before. Now I'll probably never get it out of my head. You're right, it is strange. I'll bet Jack and Jill even had another sibling that no one talks about.

Janie Fox said...

My three daughters. This was cool stuff. Gotta run apparently, there are 3 blind mice after me.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

This was a cool post!
I was one of three children...and, down the road...who knows? I could have a third husband..........but why would I go through THAT again, huh?

TARYTERRE said...

I'm playing catch up reading everybody's blogs now that I'm feeling a little better. THREE has always been my LUCKY number. Never gave much thought to WHY? Reading this has given me NEW insight.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

My three kids come to mind.
Loved this post and how you put it together.

Blog Archive