Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012: Plunging in!

my legs and wet Keens
This morning Doug and I went to Lake Monroe to do the Polar Bear Plunge.  I don't really have a bathing suit right now, so I just wore shorts and a t-shirt.  Doug wore his Hawaiian swim trunks.  Most people did wear bathing suits. 
Last Friday, Doug and a friend of mine started telling me that we needed to do this.  First, I didn't even know if I wanted to do this.  I posted something about it on facebook.  A friend of mine from high school is battling cancer and she commented "you only live once, take the plunge!"  That about made me cry. 
Last night at our friend's party, we all talked about how we might live differently if we knew that 2012 was our last year.  I said that I would be braver.  Oh, I talk big.  People who know me might think I am never afraid, but I am.  Fear is that little feeling in your stomach that causes you to think you can't do something or that you might not do it well. 
I saw the movie "We bought a zoo," yesterday and in the movie they talk about how with most situations all you need is twenty seconds of intense confidence.  Before we left I got online and looked at some videos of people doing Polar Bear Plunges.  They jump in, they jump out.  I don't even think it takes twenty seconds. 
Doug said that he was going to go in over his head.  But once he got into the water, he went in up to his waist.  That water was SO COLD.  It made me realize how fast someone could get into trouble if they fell through the ice.  I didn't intend on going in very far. 
But on January 1st, I walked into Lake Monroe on purpose.  And I walked right back out.

14 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

YIPPEEE!! you took the plunge! I think most of us are the same..we talk big! We hide behind the computer screen! I have spent the morning looking at marathon schedules...I'm doing one somewhere..somehow come the end of this year! I did one 13 years ago...I think I have another one left in me! Takes a little longer than 20 seconds though but so worth it!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Awesome! You braved it and faced it head on! You lived in the moment! Good start to the new year and taking risks to live more fully!!!! Love those shoes :)

TARYTERRE said...

Good for you. Taking the Polar Bear Plunge. What a way to start the New Year. From this point on, there is nothing you can't accomplish. I wish you a happy, joyful NEW YEAR.

From the Kitchen said...

You are brrrrrrave!

Best,
Bonnie

Holly said...

You are insane, and I love you all the more for it. 2012 will be your year!!!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

OMG, you are braver than I.. Would NEVER EVER to a polar bear plunge. Nope, uh-uh.

Good for yoU!

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Talk about taking the plunge! Good for you, though, for having a heart for others trials and being a person of action when those heart strings are tugged. Grins and kudos!

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Wonderful way to start the new year . . you go girl!

Kris said...

Today....YOU. ARE. MY.. HERO!!

tainted with a positive view said...

Holy Smokes - that is amazing. I don't think I could ever do that.

Brian Miller said...

omg i bet that was freezing...good on you though...and a great way to start the new year....so was the zoo movie good?

Jen Kershner said...

Good for you! That's what I'm talking about. I don't think I do that though. I did fall through the ice when I was a little girl. I'm still emotionally damaged from it. Well, from that and many other things!

farmlady said...

Good for you. That was absolutely brave. You have faced 2012 head on and now... you can do anything.
Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that I missed this, but glad that you made the memory.

Blog Archive