Sunday, March 21, 2010

Recipe for Sunday Brunch

Don't you just love Sunday brunch? I know I do! Today we relaxed with the paper and a recipe that I have been making- oh, forever. It is Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast. In war times, military men called it "shit on a shingle." I usually make toast and tear it into pieces. I've also served it over biscuits.
french tablecloth by Target'
old newspaper clipping


Just how long have I been making creamed chipped beef on toast? Since I was a newlywed in 1978. We were married on September 16, 1978 and this was in the Columbus Dispatch on October 18. I was very young and working hard at being a good Suzy Homemaker. Just for the record, I haven't been Mrs. Don Bennett since 1989.
But, I'm still making creamed chip beef on toast.
Here is the recipe I follow:
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons flour
2 Cups hot milk
1 3 oz package chipped beef (I use Buddig or Eckrich)
salt and pepper
Melt butter, stir in flour. Cook over medium heat for two minutes until it is a smooth paste. Add hot milk gradually, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes until smooth and thick. Cut chipped beef into small pieces and stir in. Serve over toast or biscuits.
I use real butter and 2% milk. In my opinion, you just can't make gravy with skim milk. Doug thinks I'm crazy but before adding the beef, I pour the gravy into my blender and give it a whirl. I feel it makes it thicker and creamier. Don't knock it until you try it. Oh, and even though he gave me grief for using my blender, he sure gobbled it up!
This makes a nice warm breakfast or dinner in winter or an excellent Sunday brunch.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness...my mom used to make Creamed Chipped Beef for my dad all the time. It was one of those meal staples for us growing up. How fun to see an actual receipe! (love that tablecloth...) :)

Chatty Crone said...

I'm with Lisa - my mom used to make that - think that Stouffers even made it frozen, brings back memories.

hugs,
sandie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Love this stuff! Haven't made it in decades...wonder why? Now, I have a great recipe to use.
Love the old clipping, from another life and time....

Pam said...

Oh, I haven't made chipped beef in ages. I adore it and will have to make it soon! Thanks for the reminder! Yum!!!!!

Miss Janice said...

I can't remember I had creamed chipped beef, but I love it and will have to try this recipe. I wanted to tell you that I am going to participate in The Relay for Life event in my area at the end of April. Like you, I want to try to do the 18 hours. I'm not sure I can stand up for 18 hours, much less walk for that long. I have a very close friend who has just been diagnosed with liver cancer. I'm doing this to honor and support her! I do jog and walk, but was wondering how you are preparing for this event. How the heck do you prepare for an 18 hour walk?????

The Tablescaper said...

There is nothing like a relaxing Sunday brunch.

- The Tablescaper

Blog Archive