Friday, September 23, 2011

Fall

Thank you for all of the kind comments concerning my brother.  A few of you brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the blog love!

Fall came in last night with light rain.  Leaves skittered across the road.  A cool breeze blew
through the kitchen window.   I took this photo after work yesterday of a tree near my parking lot at I.U.  I took this for my displaced Hoosier sister, Holly over at Hoosier at Heart. She doesn't live in Indiana any longer and misses our beautiful fall leaves.  I'll be thinking of you and Kris this weekend...wish I could join the fun!

I found this recipe, yesterday, at Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  It is very light.  I hope you appreciate the photo below.  I am right-handed and it is a difficult task to take a photograph left-handed!

This cake bakes up light and fluffy.  They advise to let it cool for fifteen minutes in the pan.  I normally only let a cake cool for ten minutes before flipping it.  I had a little difficulty getting it out of the pan so I might only let it cool for ten minutes the next time.  The also say not to under-bake.  My oven runs hot so fifty-five minutes was perfect for me.

The recipe says to dust with powdered sugar.  I might put cream cheese icing on it the next time.  I am forever changing recipes- thinking how might I make this better?  Doug brought this pumpkin home to me last night so I thought it would look pretty in the picture.

A perfect way to welcome fall.  I love keeping a tablecloth on my farmhouse table.  My mother bought this one for me years ago and it is one of my favorites.  I am a candle nut.  I went to Michael's a week or so ago and got three jar candles in fall fragrances, three for ten dollars.  (Note: Michael's did not ask for an endorsement.)
Crunching leaves, cool temperatures, camping and campfires.  Lighting a fire in the wood stove.  Chili (or any soup) on the stove.  Time to cozy in.  Welcome, fall!

14 comments:

Holly said...

Thank you so much for posting the leaves. You know how much it is killing me to not be there and see it all in person. Now if I could just smell it all too! The cake looks wonderful and I'll bet your house smells amazing. I wasn't planning on doing any cooking prior ot my trip tomorrow but I may just have to make a pumpkin cake before I leave now. Have a wonderful weekend. Kris and I will be thinking of you!

Kris said...

Hi Cheryl. I found your post yesterday so thought provoking! I thought about it, and you and your brother, several times throughout the day.
Fall.....ahh, yes it is coming!!! It is hot here still, but supposed to be much cooler this weekend for Blog Sugar...YES! Your cake had my mouth watering! I DO appreciate your left handed photo shot! I have done that too, and it is so awkward. I too am a candle nut. I love to have them all year around. Yankee, and Bath & Body Works and
Gold Canyon are my favorites. I just bought two fall candles yesterday.
I WISH you were coming to Blog Sugar too!!! We will say a toast to our friend!!! Enjoy your cozy fall weather!

From the Kitchen said...

My tree is here in Crown Point. The leaves seem to change overnight. Lovely! Still not like my home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia (no hills or mountains) but I'll take what I can get. I recently purchased the Mennonite cookbook and look forward to using it.

Best,
Bonnie

Lee Anna said...

Hi Cheryl,

love the Indiana fall leaves... I'm a Hoosier at heart even though I've lived in Phoenix for 30 years.

Thanks again,
Lee Anna

Brian Miller said...

nice...love fall and all the leaves changing! nice pic...and mmm sounds like a great cake!

Kelly said...

Hooray I love fall! That cake looks so good. I am loving your easy boxed cake recipes you are posting :)

In the Light of the Moon said...

My mouth began to water as I scrolled down..yum yum yum...
Now for the breeze through your kitchen window....Mmmm..I wish wish I had one going through mine...I love breezes..wish I could bottle one up and keep it in my pocket.Hugs friend,Cat

Ed Pilolla said...

the pumpkin, the tree, the cake... i am in a fall mood! taking a photo while you operate the mixmaster? that's impressive. i grew up outside chicago, have many friends who are hoosiers. a midwest fall i miss. i live in so cal now. very nice to meecha:)

MamaMonki said...

Gorgeous cake and tree. There's not much turning up here yet. Kind of unusual b/c ours usually change before farther south. I'm so glad fall is finally here it's my favorite season!

Karen Whittal said...

Love the picture, really am a autumn and winter person, i love to cook, baking comes in a box from the local bakery, if i was closer i could come for a piece looks mmmmmmmmm

Donna said...

I changed the seasons out this weekend, too. I always feel particularly crafty in the fall and spent too much time this weekend on some paper ornaments using torn-up books (from the cheapo shelf in the library "Friends of" room.) Love the look of the random words.
You always have interesting table displays, candles and tablecloths. I had bought a hazelnut-scent candle for a gift but it smelled delightfully like fall, somehow, and I am burning it now.
My mother always used a tablecloth. The patterned plastic ones were for the week but every Sunday she put on the fancy, hand-tatted beige one. I loved that nod to Sundays and hint of formality on that day. Something you don't see much of anymore.
Your blogs always take me down my own memory lane. Delightful.

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Hi Cheryl, I think a change is good for all of us . . I know I need it. Enjoy the cooler weather. Sandy:O)

Brian Miller said...

thanks for popping in...swinging through to see if there was an updated post...hope you are having a lovely day!

Privet and Holly said...

Hey sweetest friend,
Thank you for your
very kind anniversary
wishes! Made my day : )
If this cake is anything
like Amish Friendship
bread in its yumminess,
then I'm sold! So very
sorry to read about your
brother. My brother is
two years younger than I
am, so I can relate to that
special bond of big sis-
little bro. Prayers for
all of you!
xx Suzanne

Blog Archive