Thursday, June 30, 2011

Birthday girl



Ms. Chelsea Kabob Bennett
 When I moved down here in November of '07,  I knew at some point that I wanted to get a dog.  I started doing research.  I wasn't certain what I wanted, but I knew I did not want a big dog.  I am five foot two inches tall and don't care to be jumped on by big dogs.  I did a lot of research on the internet.  I thought that I wanted to get a Corgi.  I thought I wanted to get a tri-color because they are different.  I knew I didn't want to have a dog shipped because I think that is cruel.  Then I started to look for a breeder that might be local and I found one in the next town south of us.  I started emailing with the woman at the farm.  Then we spoke on the phone.  I arranged a time to go "look" at puppies.  Chelsea was born June 30, 2008.
I came home and told Doug I was going out to the farm to "look" at puppies and asked if he wanted to go with me.  The puppies were only three weeks old.  The runt had died and Chelsea was the smallest of the remaining pups.  People ask me how I picked her and I tell them that Chelsea picked me.  I was holding Chelsea and she licked my arm.  I put her down on the ground of the farm lot and she made swimming motions but could barely move.  Before we left I paid my deposit so that the breeder would hold her for me. 
On the way home Doug told me in no uncertain terms that he thought she was mentally deficient.  I asked him why and he said it was because she couldn't even walk.  I told him that she was a baby and asked him if he could walk on gravel when he was three weeks old on his knees and elbows. 
Two weeks later we went back to visit.  I went into a shed to get Chelsea.  She had turned into a ball of fluff.  I walked out of the shed and Doug melted.  That was the day he fell in love with Chelsea.  We visited one more time before we were able to bring her home at eight weeks of age. 
Anyone who has a Corgi knows how wonderful they are.  They also know how much they shed.  The shedding is the only drawback.  I like to say "how long do you brush a Corgi?  Until your arm gets tired!"  I have a furminator and she loves to be brushed.  Corgis are very smart.  We did agility with Chelsea when she was one year old and she loved it.  When you talk a Corgi they always cock their heads when they listen to you.  Chelsea understands certain words.  We have to spell "w-a-l-k and f-r-i-s-b-e-e."  She is a champion frisbee catcher and will play fetch until she (or the person throwing) drops.  She loves to play tug of war and growls like a pit bull.  She is very ferocious.  Chelsea loves to swim and fetch sticks in the water.
She is always gentle with children.  She is polite when I take her out for a walk and never lunges at people or other dogs.  She just walks straight ahead and minds her own business.  Now, if you come to our house for a visit, that is another story.  She says "Mom and Dad who?"  and "Isn't this fun- they came to see me!"  Everyone loves Chelsea.  People who don't care for Chelsea just don't care for dogs. 
She has recently matured enough that we have started to allow her to stay out of her kennel at night and while we are at work.  She does like her kennel though and seems to regard it as a safe spot.  She is a very good girl and I am so glad that she picked me to be her person.

9 comments:

Angela said...

.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤
Happy Birthday Chelsea!
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤

She's so beautiful! What a great story of how she came into your life!

Hugs,
Angela

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! I love your story. =)

I think you may have read that I shaved my girls for summer. They are outside a lot and days on end of 100+ degrees was hard on them. I love that there is very little fur being shed right now.

Kris said...

Awww, how sweet!!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

She is beautiful! I have pondered this breed too, very popular here in horse country. I also love the tri-color.

Happy Birthday, Chelsea!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, Chelsea!! :)

nono said...

She is beautiful. Happy Birthday Chelsea!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Happy birthday Chelsea you beautiful girl you!!

I love how they tilt their heads. They KNOW what we are saying.

GB says *Hhheeeeyyyy*

Donna said...

She is a sweetheart! She brings you and the duggles so much joy.

Privet and Holly said...

Gorgeous Chelsea!
Lucky parents : )
I can only imagine
the joy she brings
into your life, daily!
xx Suzanne

Blog Archive