Sunday, June 12, 2011

Decked out

Summertime
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
and the cotton is high
1935, George Gershwin- Porgy and Bess
lyrics by DuBose Heyward

When I was very young, Mother would play albums on the record player and the soundtrack from Porgy and Bess was always one of my favorites.  If you aren't familiar with it, you might check it out.  I especially love the Summertime song. 
Yesterday when I went to Farmer's Market, I filled my market basket with pots of flowers.  Today we went to one of my favorite places to purchase plants, Bloomington Valley Nursery.  I call it "Happy Valley."   Our good friend Jeanna works there. 
Once again I filled my market basket and then some.  I like my flower pots filled to overflowing.  I came home and planted and planted.  Seems everything I do I do to excess and today was no exception.  I nearly ran out of flower pots.  We have an old deck and we are using my old wicker set which is now 24 years old.  
These photos were taken this afternoon in the late afternoon light.  This is my deck- decked out.





8 comments:

Kris said...

Very pretty. Looks like a great place to relax!

farmlady said...

Twenty four year old wicker. How did you keep it in such good condition? It's lovely.
The deck looks wonderful.
I love the song from Porgy and Bess. It's one of my favorites.
It's finally "Summertime.... and the living is(I hope)easy"... for you.
Nice post.

Holly said...

Love the deck. The flowers look great and I love your chairs!

Brian Miller said...

nice. i am all about the deck esp this time of year...we ust got a new farmers market, the other one was running down...love to go there to get produce and flowers, but also some great people...thanks for popping in today...

sad on the brother, it is def hard when it hits close to or in the home...

msdebbiea said...

I want to come sit on your deck with you and drink lemonade. . .or margaritas!

Farmgirl Paints said...

never heard of porgy and bess...hmmmm. love your wicker. i have fake wicker does that count?? it's black and it makes me happy. even have a porch swing to match.

rachel awes said...

soooooo bloomy pretty!!!
happy summertime to you,
dear one! xox

Privet and Holly said...

Love that song
and our Midwest
summers!! Today
it's rainy and
cozy and I like
it when it's like
this, too. Your
porch looks like
a great place to
spend time!
xx Suzanne
PS: Your trip
sounded fab. I need
a baby fix....Have
to visit my brother
and his brood, soon!
They are near D.C., too.

Blog Archive