Friday, July 11, 2008

Wrong





When I first moved to Bloomington, someone said


"Welcome to the land of one way streets."


And, until today, I had never driven the wrong way on any of the many one way streets. I headed south on College. As soon as I did it, I realized the error of my way and turned into a bank parking lot and headed in the correct direction. I'd just gotten off of the phone with dug so I had to call him back and tell him what I'd done and that it was his fault. Walnut goes south and College goes north and I don't know how many times I've heard locals (including dug) say
"I don't know how many years I've lived here, but I couldn't tell you which way College and Walnut runs."

I have been having frequent headaches. Yesterday, I had a pressure headache, to the point that tears were overflowing out of my eyes. Despite feeling nauseous, I went to Panera to eat dinner. Bradley met me and while he sat and talked to me, I had a salad. A young Asian family- mother, father and son, sat to our right. The father and son had met the mother and I'd watched the son run to hug her. When I went to leave, my car was parked next to the mother's. I looked before I began to back out and then (as Emeril says) "BAM." I pulled forward and got out. The Asian father had stopped behind both of our cars. He had a black Honda CRV and the mother and father were both frowning and speaking a language that I didn't understand. I had noted that she had an I.U. parking hang tag on her car (yes, I note things like that), so I figured they were faculty or PhD students and surely could speak English. The panel near the bumper was popped out ever so slightly, maybe an eighth of an inch. I walked around to look at the other side of the vehicle and it was popped out, too - quite a bit.

"That is old injury." the mother said to me.


When I walked back around, without even thinking, I just reached out and hit the side of the vehicle with the palm of my hand and the place popped back in. I said


"There you go, maybe the other side will pop back into place as well."


For a few minutes, they continued to speak to one another- then suddenly he gave a slight bow and held out his hand.


"It is o.k."


As I shook his hand, I said


"My apologies. I am so sorry."


It was so upsetting. To bump into his car, to stand there while they spoke in a language I didn't understand, not knowing if they were talking about how much they could get out of me or what...I drive a 2003 Honda Civic EX - I don't think it looks as if I'm wealthy. I don't even wash it or wax it very often anymore. With a sigh of relief, I pulled away.


Then, I went home and watered flowers, cleaned the kitchen, took a brief nap, talked to Laura upon her return to the USA, and Stefanie called. Then to the Y for a workout. All the while, the headache continued on. At some point, I'm certain I took Tylenol.


At 4:30 a.m., I awoke, my head splitting with a migraine. I took my Relpax 40 mg. and went back to sleep. Because I had a fasting blood draw this a.m., I slept a little later and couldn't eat. I felt like crap.


When the woman went to do the venipuncture, it seemed as if she were training her colleague and she told her what to write down


"Full lipid and two thyroid."


"And, liver." I added.


"No liver." she responded.


"That is the point, isn't it?" I snapped back.


Instantly, I began to back-peddle


"I'm sorry I snapped at you. I thought I was having a liver profile as well."


She told me she would look into it and if the doctor decided it was desired, she would add it.


I think I'm overly concerned because of my brother's liver issues.


Then, I drove the wrong way down College. It seems as if it has been going that way. The wrong way.

I'm glad it is Friday and I don't have any plans. Maybe I can get back on course and headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Blog Archive