Sunday, April 5, 2009

Collage

Main Entry: col·lage
Pronunciation: \kə-ˈläzh, kȯ-, kō-\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, literally, gluing, from coller to glue, from colle glue, from Vulgar Latin *colla, from Greek kolla
Date: 1919
1 a: an artistic composition made of various materials (as paper, cloth, or wood) glued on a surface b: a creative work that resembles such a composition in incorporating various materials or elements

I have always loved to make collages. In high school, I had one wall of my bedroom covered in cork which enabled me to have an evolving collage. Later as an adult, I had a refrigerator with one entire side covered in a collage. Likewise, I covered the inside of my bedroom closet door. I moved into this house sixteen months ago and there is a growing collage around the mirror that hangs on my bathroom door. Quotes that inspire me, photos, cards that loved one have sent to me. At work, I cover one wall of my cube in tickets of shows I've seen, more quotes and poems that inspire me (and hopefully others), photos of family and friends. When I read magazines - I am continually tearing out pieces that I hope to later use in a collage.
In my art , I use collage style to create cards and bookmarks.
Recently, I saw Tim Holtz idea-ology Word Keys and knew I wanted to do something with them. I love the rainbow ribbon, which is velvety and the keys tinkle nicely. I hope this summer to hang them somewhere that they will catch the breeze. The keys indiviually read: Heart, Life, Love, Journey, Dreams, Secret, Memory. I call them "the keys to creativity."

Here is another collage that I created recently again using the same hanger:This collage, coincidentally features a Tim Holtz stamp also (I love Tim Holtz, don't you?)- "The journey awakens the soul." Aren't you glad? I am. This artistic journey that I'm on has awakened me and revived me in so many ways - in the colors I use in my home, the clothes I wear. Although I've always worn red glasses and loved jewelry, I am looking at the world through a new lens.

1 comment:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

~squeals~ LOVE the collage and the keys! where did you get your keys.

I cut all sorts of pics out of mags to save.

Blog Archive