Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What is luckier than 7? 7/7!

Twenty-eight years ago today my beautiful daughter was born.
Twenty-eight years ago.
Where do the years go?   
I was almost twenty-five when I had her. 
I wanted a girl so bad I couldn't stand it.  In the end, it seemed like I was carrying a basketball and I thought
"o.k., just give me a baby."

And it was a girl.
She was my little doll.
I played with her.
Dressed her.
She went everywhere with me from the time she was born.
She went to my exercise class with me and sat there, watching us, exercise.
In her "punkin" seat.

From the time she was twelve, she knew she wanted to be a lawyer. 
Her class had a "kangaroo court" in the local courthouse.
(I wasn't there.)
In excitement and anticipation, she threw-up on the courthouse steps.

"Laura, do you want to go in?"
"Do you want to proceed?"
She gulped and nodded.
(Her teacher told me, later.)
I wasn't there, but I was told that you would have thought she was a real prosecuting attorney that day.

When it came time to complete her under-grad, she was so driven that she did it in three years.  Many students take five years these days. 
Despite a Lilly Scholarship, she pushed and finished as fast as possible.  She still had three years of law school ahead of her.
When she took the bar, it was insane.  It made history.  In the first time of the electronic bar, results were lost.  We were told there was back-up upon back-up, but it was beyond un-nerving. 
She passed.

Today, she is a powerful attorney in Washington, D.C. 
To say I am proud of her is beyond description.

I like to say
"my daughter, the lawyer."

in my best Jewish mama imitation voice. 
I make jokes that someday I'll have a bumper-sticker across the back of my bumper on my car that reads
"don't even think about hitting me-my daughter is a high-power attorney and we will sue you beyond anything in your wildest imagination."

The first thing she did when she went to work was to buy me a set of dishes.
She has taken me to the Kennedy Center and to a fancy french restaurant.
Complete with a ride in a fancy limo.

For this Hoosier Mama, it was something out of a fairy-tale. 

She is my girl. 
She was born on 7/7 and that makes her double-lucky.
And double loved.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

AWWW! This is so unbelievably sweet. May your daughter have the happiest of birthdays and may you continue to be just as proud of her!

(*sigh* I look at my li'l 3 year old and dream of when I'll be writing something like this...)

(By the way, did you lose power twice this morning like we did? Seems like a lot of us got hit!)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you aren't afraid to brag about this wonderful girl's accomplishments. Your pride and delight show and it sounds like, to me, this girl had an amazing mom who nurtured her dream.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

What a great post! What is it about mamas and their daughters?
I was lucky, like you, and dearly love my girl. She was successful in her career as well and school years. She has always brought me joy..as yours has you.
Thank you for sharing your pride and love for this baby girl, who was lucky to have you for her mom, and you for her...7-7 indeed!

Cheryl said...

Happy birthday a little bit late to your kiddo and you! (Psst, my niece did Dartmouth in 3. Do you think that kid is going places? I love this young women driven to succeed.)

rachel awes said...

embracing hugs to you,
mom, friend, & all whosyergurl
you are!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Yup 7/7 and 28 are definitely lucky but as you pointed out ambition is a huge contributing factor to the goal line!! Congrats and best wishes to all of you!!!

ain't for city gals said...

Mine was born on 7-11 and in in her third and FINAL year of law school...YIPPPEEE!!! Like you I am so proud of her..my heart bursts with pride....Right now I introduce her as "This is Sarah..lawyer in training"...she hates it!!!lol...I want to get me one of those bumper stickers!!lol..congrats on a beautiful young woman!!!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

oooohhhh this made me teary eyed! What a wonderful life.

Blog Archive