Monday, January 12, 2009

B.F.F.

We met in band. She played clarinet, I played flute and marched piccolo. She was in the "icing on the cake" crowd, while I was just "cake." Despite societal implications that cake and icing shouldn't be stirred together in the same bowl, we did. When we were seventeen, we started hanging out and became friends. And now, that has been thirty-three years ago. Despite where she lived, we would get together. And now, I'm the one who lives in a different place, so she came to see the house and visit for New Year's eve. She brought her beautiful daughter, Isabelle, who refers to us as "Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Duck." I hope Isabelle always calls Doug, "Duck."
She is one of the least judgemental people I've ever known. She just loves me for who I am and I love her back. She is fiercely loyal and takes my side whether I am in the right or not. She is an excellent listener and tells you honestly what she thinks. I always emulated her behaviors because she is so beautiful and lady-like. She was the one who taught me to wear Estee Lauder and "good" nail polish. Oh, she also was the one who taught me how to smoke. It was in the family station wagon, while driving around Baker Park. We were both in one another's first weddings. My daughter is named for her.
The shirt was my request. I sent her a link to it and told her how it would be a good Christmas gift for Cheryl as she has an affinity for dragonflies. She bought two, as is often our custom when gifting to one another. Doug shot this photo - I think he thought it would be funny. I love it. Just like girlfriends in the sixth grade - here we are in our matching clothing.
I never get enough of her. Our visits are always too short as are our phone conversations. If we can't talk for long she will say "this was a good snippet."

I love you L.P.

4 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

What a blessing to have a friend like that. Even more is that you both know it!!

Miss Janice said...

Well there certainly is nothing like having a best friend for such a long time. You are lucky and so is your friend. Please read my post from this past Saturday about my best friend. She went to Emory University yesterday...I love her just like a sister!

Cathy Santarsiero, "The Christmas Corgi" said...

Hi Cheryl! I love your bff story :) Your Corgi is adorable. Thanks for stopping by. I'll be back! Warmly, Cathy

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, band and the flute ... me too! Chelsea is getting so big and still just as cute! -Robyn

Blog Archive