Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Getting back to normal

Getting back to normal - perhaps I shouldn't use the word "normal."
Perhaps I should say "routine."
I was one of those people who always sent out Christmas cards. Always.
Once again, I did not get many cards sent out. 
Little Bee

On Thursday, December 12th, I flew to the east coast for my Christmas visit with my girls. Little Bee will be three in March. (HOW did that happen?)
Because I want her to grow up believing she is an artist, the two of us have started to "do art" together. She loves it. I have introduced her to wooden stamps. For this visit, I put together card kits and she made Christmas cards for Mama and Mommy.
She loves to dance and sing and tease. She cuddles and runs away.
Life is so much better with Little Bee. My visits with my girls always go by too quickly.

On Saturday, the 14th, I went to bed with a sore throat.
On Sunday, the 15th, I flew back to Indiana and on my flight my left ear popped.
It comes and goes but there are still times I cannot hear.

When I woke on Monday the 16th, I was running a fever and knew I couldn't return to work.

On Tuesday the 17th, I called the doctor but they could not get me in to the office and advised me to go to the walk-in clinic.
On Wednesday, I felt determined and rallied and returned to work.
Big Mistake. I returned home that evening feeling terrible.

On Thursday the 19th, I was up early and the first to be seen at the walk-in clinic. I  was diagnosed with a severe sinus infection and went home with four meds.

We were supposed to leave for North Carolina for Christmas with my son on Friday the 20th.
Also, my mother was hospitalized.
Because I had been so ill, and had just started my meds, we postponed our departure until Saturday a.m.

Saturday the 21st, we were up early to load the car. I was so worried about my mother and questioning if I should be going on this trip that I was sick. I was crying and nauseous and kept taking packing breaks to lie on the bed until my stomach settled down.
I decided I would have faith that she would be fine.
Finally, we hit the road. 
Friends since age 17.
Moi, my friend Laura (whom my daughter is named for)
and my Welsh Pembroke Corgi, Chelsea.

Each day I continued to improve.
I was in constant communication with my family regarding my mother's health.
It was her desire was to get to go home from the hospital for Christmas and she was released on the 23rd.

We stayed with my son and his future wife in their new home.
We visited with my friend Laura who also lives in the Triangle.
It was a restful, sweet visit. Following a Christmas Eve gathering, we woke early and hit the road to drive back to Indiana on Christmas Day.

My future daughter-in-law, Dino
My son, Bradley
et Moi
We thought it would be an adventure to drive back home on Christmas day. There were few travelers on the road. And, it was difficult to find anywhere to eat. We saw a Waffle House was open and went in. It was standing room only and we opted to press on. Finally, we found a truck stop plaza sort of place which had a food court.

On the 26th and 27th, I worked. There were stacks of work, but in two days I was caught up.

On Saturday, the 28th, the first real opportunity I had to do so, I drove to my hometown to see my mother. She was not well. I spent the day with my parents. Finally by late evening, my dad persuaded my mother to go to our local hospital. The ambulance took her and I met my parents at the emergency room. By one a.m., it was determined my mother would be transferred to Indianapolis. I drove over and met her there and stayed with her until five a.m. I returned home at six a.m.
Sunday, the 29th,  I slept for five and a half hours and we went to the movie theatre.

I went to work on Monday the 30th and yesterday, the 31st.

Today, we drove to Indianapolis to see my mother, again.
It seems we are getting closer to a solution.
Time marches on.

Although I am not yet ready to summarize 2013, I welcome the New Year and getting back to normal.
Wonder why I did not get many Christmas cards sent out?

Happy New Year




Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

My goodness Cheryl, that sounds like a crazy holiday for sure . . . routine is a good thing to hear after that. Great pics for sure. You look pretty good for all that was happening. Hope you are feeling much better and I'm sort of glad the holidays are over. Came in like a rush and left like a rush. Prayer is sent for Momma. Blessings xo

^..^Corgidogmama said...

What a crazy, mixed up holiday for sure! Son Josh and I were in Chapel Hill to be with the grands and April; first time ever at Christmas. We drove home on Christmas day as well!
A prayer for your mom, and for you as well to get through this time. My mom is nearly 97, so each day is a roller coaster ride.
May 2014 be grand for you.

Hope said...

You look utterly splendid despite being so very sick! Some good meds huh??? I hope 2014 brings you good health & oodles of creativity! We & out families need it from us like you said!

Donna said...

I am worn out just HEARING about all you went through. What a TROOPER!!! You looked marvelous through it all and I'm sure made sure you remained upbeat for everyone in your life. Bravo, Cheryl. You inspire.

Jen Kershner said...

Good grief Cheryl. That is quite a holiday season. I hope things are settled down and that you are enjoying your regular routine.

Blog Archive